Every tonne of material recycled reduces collection, transportation and disposal costs. It also reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
The European Union’s Landfill Directive and the government’s subsequent Waste Implementation Programme requires the UK to:
- By 2010 – reduce biodegradable municipal waste landfilled to 75% of that produced in 1995
- By 2013 – reduce biodegradable municipal waste landfilled to 50% of that produced in 1995
- By 2020 – reduce biodegradable municipal waste landfilled to 35% of that produced in 1995
Commercial organisations are under increasing pressure to put in place sustainable waste management programmes, recycling more of their waste and cutting their carbon emissions.
For many, putting in place a comprehensive recycling and waste management programme will:
- Ensure compliance with essential waste legislation
- Reduce landfill tax costs
- Generate an income from resource value
- Have a positive impact on environmental practices